ingesting a large xml file and formatting it

From: sam pendleton <samp4040(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: ingesting a large xml file and formatting it
Date: 2014-11-04 21:53:18
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi, I have a large XML file that I would like to put into a postgresql
database. There are certain attributes about elements that aren't needed,
so I would like to "pre-process" it, removing parts that aren't desired
before storing the new row.

What are some first steps in making this happen?

Also, is there a term for "pre-processing data so that data being inserted
into the database is consistent?"