pgAdmin3 extremely slow while displaying TEXT column values on OSX

From: Philip Luppens <philip(dot)luppens(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pgAdmin3 extremely slow while displaying TEXT column values on OSX
Date: 2013-07-17 15:23:55
Lists: pgadmin-support

Good day everyone,

I'd like to discuss an issue in the current stable version 1.16.1 of
pgAdmin3 that has been reported before [1], but since no solution was
reported, I'd like to ask for a bit of followup.

The issue is pretty much as described in [1]: displaying rows with type
TEXT with some content (smallish XML documents) renders the application
unusable for a long duration. The retrieval is plenty fast, only the
rendering in pgAdmin3 is affected. Since I have no experience with C++ nor
wxWidgets, I'm afraid I cannot offer more than a simple profiling [2]. To
the untrained eye, this seems like a problem in the wxWidgets library
(correct me if I'm wrong).

I did some searching in the wxWidgets Traq instance, and all I found was
this issue [3], but I'm not sure it's related - which was acknowledged 5
years ago. Does that mean there's no hope of this getting resolved? Or is
it such a minor issue for most people?

In the mean time, I'm using a commercial offering, but I'd rather see the
pgAdmin3 tool getting a fix for OSX developers. However, if this boils down
to 'not our fault - go and bug the wxWidgets guys', then I completely
understand that.

Cheers,

Phil

[1]
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAGuHJrMgbCoAnEnEkVXbbZni82n-1re9QD-GRaVv_b6R2GuCdA@mail.gmail.com
[2] http://i.imgur.com/DMEXeps.png
[3] http://trac.wxwidgets.org/ticket/4408
--
"We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand." -
Randy Pausch