How to use the BRIN index properly?

From: Siddharth Jain <siddhsql(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: How to use the BRIN index properly?
Date: 2023-02-08 19:51:50
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

We have large tables with billions of rows in them and want to take
advantage of the BRIN index on them.

Issues we are facing:

- as I understand, BRIN index is useful only if the data is stored in
index order. As an example we want to create a composite BRIN index on 3
columns - integers and strings (varchar). How can we tell Postgres to store
data in index order as new records are inserted into the database?
- i understand that turning on autosummarize will keep the index fresh
and up-to-date as new records are inserted. is this correct?

Thanks for your help.

S.