Re: Cube extension improvement, GSoC

From: Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Stas Kelvich <stanconn(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Cube extension improvement, GSoC
Date: 2013-05-08 10:35:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, May 4, 2013 at 11:19 PM, Stas Kelvich <stanconn(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> > I think we have at least 3 data types more or less similar to cube.
> > 1) array of ranges
> > 2) range of arrays
> > 3) 2d arrays
> > Semantically cube is most close to array or ranges. However array of
> ranges have huge storage overhead.
> > Also we can declare cube as domain on 2d arrays and declare operations
> of that domain.
>
> But what we should do when arrays in different records have different
> numbers of element?

We can be faced with absolutely same situation with cube.

test=# create table cube_test (v cube);
CREATE TABLE

test=# insert into cube_test values (cube(array[1,2])),
(cube(array[1,2,3]));
INSERT 0 2

In order to force all cubes to have same number of dimensions excplicit
CHECK on table is required.
As I remember cube treats absent dimensions as zeros.

------
With best regards,
Alexander Korotkov.