Re: Add SPLIT PARTITION/MERGE PARTITIONS commands

From: Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Pavel Borisov <pashkin(dot)elfe(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dmitry Koval <d(dot)koval(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Add SPLIT PARTITION/MERGE PARTITIONS commands
Date: 2024-08-22 16:43:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi!

On Thu, Aug 22, 2024 at 7:33 PM Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> pgsql-release list today, I spent some time investigating this patch.
> Unfortunately, I think there are too many problems here to be
> reasonably fixed before release, and I think all of SPLIT/MERGE
> PARTITION needs to be reverted.
>
> I focused my investigation on createPartitionTable(), which is a
> helper for both SPLIT PARTITION and MERGE PARTITION, and it works by
> consing up a CREATE TABLE AS statement and then feeding that back
> through
> ProcessUtility. I think it's bad design to use such a high-level
> facility here; it is unlike what we do elsewhere in tablecmds.c and
> opens us up to a variety of problems. The first thing that I
> discovered is that this patch does not fix all of the repeated name
> lookup problems. There is still this:
>
> tlc->relation =
> makeRangeVar(get_namespace_name(RelationGetNamespace(modelRel)),
> RelationGetRelationName(modelRel), -1);
>
> And also this:
>
> createStmt->tablespacename =
> get_tablespace_name(modelRel->rd_rel->reltablespace);
>
> In both cases, we do a reverse lookup on an OID to get a name which
> the CREATE TABLE code will later turn back into an OID. If we don't
> get the same value, that's at least a bug and probably a security
> vulnerability, and there is no way to be certain that we will get the
> same value. The only remedy is to not repeat the lookup in the first
> place.
>
> Then I got to looking at this:
>
> tlc->options = CREATE_TABLE_LIKE_ALL &
> ~(CREATE_TABLE_LIKE_INDEXES | CREATE_TABLE_LIKE_IDENTITY |
> CREATE_TABLE_LIKE_STATISTICS);
>
> It's not obvious at first glance that there is a critical problem
> here, but there are reasons to be nervous. We're deploying a lot of
> machinery here to copy a lot of stuff and, while that's efficient from
> a coding perspective, it means that stuff you might not expect can
> just kind of happen. For instance:
>
> robert.haas=# \d+
> List of relations
> Schema | Name | Type | Owner | Persistence |
> Access method | Size | Description
> --------+------+-------------------+-------------+-------------+---------------+------------+-------------
> public | foo | partitioned table | robert.haas | permanent |
> | 0 bytes |
> public | foo1 | table | robert.haas | permanent | heap
> | 8192 bytes |
> public | foo2 | table | bob | permanent | heap
> | 8192 bytes |
> (3 rows)
> robert.haas=# alter table foo split partition foo2 into (partition
> foo3 for values from (10) to (15), partition foo4 for values from (15)
> to (20));
> ALTER TABLE
> robert.haas=# \d+
> List of relations
> Schema | Name | Type | Owner | Persistence |
> Access method | Size | Description
> [...]

Thank you for your feedback. Yes, it seems that there is not enough
time to even carefully analyze all the issues in these features. The
rule of thumb I can get from this experience is "think multiple times
before accessing something already opened by its name". I'm going to
revert these features during next couple days.

------
Regards,
Alexander Korotkov
Supabase