Re: Releasing an alpha for CF2

From: Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Releasing an alpha for CF2
Date: 2011-11-08 21:31:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 12:56 AM, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:

> I'd really like us to release an alpha version based on the finished
> CF2. There have been a number of major features added to PostgreSQL
> prior to this CF -- including Haas's performance improvements and range
> types -- which we really want at least some users to test early.

People trying range types are likely to try indexes on them. GiST on range
types implementation in head have some limitations:
1) Full index scan for "column <@ const" case.
2) Absence of selectivity estimation functions for &&, <@, @> cause no GiST
index usage until turning enable_seqscan to off.

IMHO, it would be nice to release alpha version with range types without
these limitations. I'm going to finish my patch for GiST on range types in
couple of days. Concerning selectivity estimation, possible solution is to
create some constant estimations with lower selectivity, which make planner
use corresponding index by default (like we've for geometric datatypes).

------
With best regards,
Alexander Korotkov.