Re: UseDeclareFetch=1, Fetch=100, UseServerSidePrepare=1 causes Windows client to intermittently hang

From: Joshua Berry <yoberi(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: ljwilson <ljwilson(at)digitalav(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: UseDeclareFetch=1, Fetch=100, UseServerSidePrepare=1 causes Windows client to intermittently hang
Date: 2013-06-03 15:02:22
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hi Jack,

On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 5:38 PM, ljwilson <ljwilson(at)digitalav(dot)com> wrote:

> This weekend I tested at a client site the psqlODBC Windows drivers as of
> 2013/05/21 (what will eventually be 09.02.0100) from the github source.
> When
> printing invoices, intermittently a client (I could reproduce on all three
> of the test machines) would hang (freeze--must kill with taskmanager). The
> client might have to print just one, or 13, or as high as 61 individual
> jobs
> before the hang would occur. The fix is to set the UseServerSidePrepare
> back
> to 0--then no hangs can be reproduced. Enabling mylog makes it much harder
> to reproduce the hang, but I have been able to produce 4 mylog files using
> my own test machine that log up to the hang.

When the client system would hang, would it cause the PG backend to crash
and restart? Also, were other clients concurrently connected to the same
backend affected as well?

I'm hoping that the issue that you're having is related to the issue I've
been having such that a single patch will cure both!

Kind Regards,
-Joshua