Re: psql on Mac

From: Ozan Kahramanogullari <ozan(dot)kah(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us
Cc: Andrej Ricnik <andrej(dot)groups(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jeff Frost <jeff(dot)frost(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psql on Mac
Date: 2018-10-24 09:54:24
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-novice

Well, I took the default settings when I was installing PostgreSQL. And,
yes, I ran the "show" commands on the command line console; it gave an
error. I ran the "show" commands on the psql prompt that delivered nothing,
no error as well.

I am open to any suggestions, including reinstalling everything from
scratch, if there are any precise instructions.

I am not ruling out that I am doing something wrong. Though, I was
convinced that following simple instructions would not be that hard. I have
tried to provide all the information in the previous emails. I am puzzled
myself; after all, this is quite a standard platform (Mac) and all I am
trying to do is access some SQL database with a python file (see below).

Cheers,
Ozan

######## SQL stuff ###########

CREATE TABLE flights (
id SERIAL PRIMARY KEY,
origin VARCHAR NOT NULL,
destination VARCHAR NOT NULL,
duration INTEGER NOT NULL
);

INSERT INTO flights (origin, destination, duration) VALUES ('New York',
'London', 415);
INSERT INTO flights (origin, destination, duration) VALUES ('Shanghai',
'Paris', 760);
INSERT INTO flights (origin, destination, duration) VALUES ('Istanbul',
'Tokyo', 700);
INSERT INTO flights (origin, destination, duration) VALUES ('New York',
'Paris', 435);
INSERT INTO flights (origin, destination, duration) VALUES ('Moscow',
'Paris', 245);
INSERT INTO flights (origin, destination, duration) VALUES ('Lima', 'New
York', 455);

######## python file ##########
import os

from sqlalchemy import create_engine
from sqlalchemy.orm import scoped_session, sessionmaker

engine = create_engine(os.getenv("DATABASE_URL"))
db = scoped_session(sessionmaker(bind=engine))

def main():
flights = db.execute("SELECT origin, destination, duration FROM
flights").fetchall()
for flight in flights:
print(f"{flight.origin} to {flight.destination}, {flight.duration}
minutes.")

if __name__ == "__main__":
main()