GSSAPI authentication on Redhat8 and PostgreSQL15/16

From: Yee Yee ( 舒兰) <sweety(dot)soul7(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: GSSAPI authentication on Redhat8 and PostgreSQL15/16
Date: 2023-11-17 06:57:15
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello Team,

Good day to all. I would like to seek your professional help and advice.

I am attempting to configure Windows authentication on the Red Hat Linux
server to connect to Windows AD. I chose the GSSAPI authentication method,
but unfortunately, it is not working. May I ask a few questions:

1. What is the recommended authentication method from PostgreSQL if we
want to use Windows authentication from Linux?
2. Do I need to generate a keytab file for every user or do I need to
modify the /etc/krb5.keytab file one time only?
3. Do I need to remote to Windows AD and generate the keytab file or
generate from Postgres Linux server itself?
4. Do I need to set up the Linux server domain name the same as the
username domain name, e.g., [serverName(at)domainname(dot)com] and
domainname/username?
5. According to PostgreSQL 15 (hostgssenc - This record matches
connection attempts made using TCP/IP but only when the connection is made
with GSSAPI encryption. To make use of this option, the server must be
built with GSSAPI support. Otherwise, the hostgssenc record is ignored,
except for logging a warning that it cannot match any connections.) - which
kind of components should Linux OS install to use GSSAPI authentication?".
Recently my Linux OS only can find cyrus-sasl-gssapi.x86_64
rsyslog-gssapi.x86_64.

Thank you. Regards

Yee Yee