Re: Writing my first trigger

From: Chris Tsongas <chris(dot)tsongas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Writing my first trigger
Date: 2022-05-19 18:24:41
Lists: pgsql-novice

Upon looking at my own code, I realized there's no reason for me to be
looking at the OLD values, I only care about the NEW:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION update_employee() RETURNS TRIGGER AS $$
BEGIN
IF (NEW."preferredFirstName" IS NOT NULL) THEN
NEW."fullName" = NEW."preferredFirstName" || ' ' || NEW."lastName";
ELSE
NEW."fullName" = NEW."firstName" || ' ' || NEW."lastName";
END IF;
NEW."updatedAt" = now();
RETURN NEW;
END;