Re: Could postgres12 support millions of sequences? (like 10 million)

From: John W Higgins <wishdev(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-generallists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Could postgres12 support millions of sequences? (like 10 million)
Date: 2020-03-21 04:04:12
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 8:13 PM pabloa98 <pabloa98(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I hope I described the problem completely.

1) What is a group - does it exist prior to records being inserted? How
many groups are you working with? How long do they live for?
2) #1 but for element
3) How many records per second per group per element are you anticipating?
Are their spikes?
4) How long does a group/element live for? You can put 10 record per second
over 3 years and still be under 100 million records (the size of your
seq_number)
5) How quickly do you need the seq_number - if you batch created them once
a minute would that work? Does it need to be quicker than that? Slower than
that? Or is it an immediate need?

That's a starting point.....

John W Higgins