Re: BUG #12990: Missing pg_multixact/members files (appears to have wrapped, then truncated)

From: Timothy Garnett <tgarnett(at)panjiva(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Postgres-Bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #12990: Missing pg_multixact/members files (appears to have wrapped, then truncated)
Date: 2015-04-16 20:33:05
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 12:04 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I think we definitely need to do that ASAP. And possibly then force
> an immediate minor release. Bugs that eat your data are bad, and we
> have a customer hitting this completely independently of this report,
> which makes this look like more than a theoretical problem.

I defer to others on what a good timeline would be, but failing harder here
would be good. We were somewhat lucky in discovering the issue as fast as
we did. Post wrap, 99.9+% of the queries to our database were returning
fine without error. We only observed the failure when accessing two
specific rows in two different tables (there were possibly more, it's a
multi-TiB db cluster). Had we not hit those rows for a few days instead of
a few hours recovery would have been extremely difficult as rolling back to
a known good state wouldn't have really been an option.

Tim