Re: Local User Groups - advocacy

From: Valeria Kaplan <vk(at)dataegret(dot)com>
To: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Dave Cramer <davecramer(at)gmail(dot)com>, Umair Shahid <umair(dot)shahid(at)gmail(dot)com>, usergroups(at)postgresql(dot)org, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Paul Ramsey <pramsey(at)cleverelephant(dot)ca>, Kerem Kızıltunç <kerem(dot)kiziltunc(at)turkcell(dot)com(dot)tr>, Renee Phillips <renee(dot)phillips(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jan Karremans <jan(dot)karremans(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Chris Travers <chris(dot)travers(at)gmail(dot)com>, Laetitia Avrot <laetitia(dot)avrot(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Teresa(dot)Giacomini" <Teresa(dot)Giacomini(at)microsoft(dot)com>, Ervin Weber <webervin(at)gmail(dot)com>, Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, Stacey Haysler <shayslerpgx(at)gmail(dot)com>, Katherine Mcmillan <kmcmi046(at)uottawa(dot)ca>, Sebastiaan Mannem <sebastiaan(dot)mannem(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Claire Giordano <Claire(dot)Giordano(at)microsoft(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Catherine Souque <catherine(dot)souque(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Steven Pousty <steve(dot)pousty(at)crunchydata(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Ilya Kosmodemiansky <ik(at)dataegret(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Local User Groups - advocacy
Date: 2020-01-30 15:04:30
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Hi Jonathan, All,

To take our discussion on this thread further, I went through the content
on the wiki page and rewrote it a bit.
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/UserGroupOperatingManual

I made five sections, keeping in mind what I'd see going on the postgres.org
website PUG page <https://www.postgresql.org/community/user-groups/>:

1. Small blurb at the top (see under *creating a new user group*)
2. *Starting your PUG* (guides you through the process of creating all
needed resources and announcing the group to the community)
3. *Holding your first meetup* (talks about different organisational
aspects of a meetup, how to get funding, and where to announce)
4. *Holding more meetings *(a general guidance on holding meetup series)
5. *Useful links *(this needs more links, examples of active user group
pages, checklists, articles about choosing topics for PUG meetings and how
to run them. *If anyone has good examples for it, could you please ad the
link to the wiki *
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/UserGroupOperatingManual#Useful_Links *or send
it to this thread and I'll add*.)

I left Notes and Brain Dump, they do have some useful nuggets of
information, but I think it'd be too much for the website.

*It definitely needs a proof, so if anyone can help with that it would be
great.*

Once on the website, I have a few ideas that could bring this section of
the website to live a bit more (an animation to explain the process and
maybe series of video interviews with those who have experience organising
PUG meetings)... "You may say I`m a dreamer; but I`m not the only one." :)

Cheers,
Valeria