Re: Restoring 2 Tables From All Databases Backup

From: Filip Rembiałkowski <plk(dot)zuber(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Adarsh Sharma <adarsh(dot)sharma(at)orkash(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Restoring 2 Tables From All Databases Backup
Date: 2011-10-06 10:34:32
Lists: pgsql-general

2011/10/6 Adarsh Sharma <adarsh(dot)sharma(at)orkash(dot)com>

> **
> Thanks to all, the problem is solved now.
>
> But Still I donot know how to use existing data directory (near about
> 110GB) in a new Postgres Installation.
> I ask this in the list yesterday but still no clue on this.
> Please guide if it is possible.

You need to learn more about postgres server mechanics... especially initdb,
pg_ctl, starting and stopping server and so on. See
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/runtime.html,
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/runtime-config-file-locations.html.

To use existing data directory in new installation, you can just stop the
server, replace data_directory, and start the server. Remember about file
permissions - data_directory must be owned by server process owner
("postgres") and chmod 700.

Filip