Re: Restoring 2 Tables From All Databases Backup

From: Filip Rembiałkowski <plk(dot)zuber(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Adarsh Sharma <adarsh(dot)sharma(at)orkash(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Restoring 2 Tables From All Databases Backup
Date: 2011-10-05 14:50:56
Lists: pgsql-general

2011/10/5 Adarsh Sharma <adarsh(dot)sharma(at)orkash(dot)com>

> Dear all,
>
> About 1 month ago, I take a complete databases backup of my Database server
> through pg_dumpall command.
> Today I need to extract or restore only 2 tables in a database.
>
> Is it possible or I have to restore complete Databases again. Size of
> backup is 10 GB in .sql.gz format.
>
> Please let me know how to extract the tables from this 10Gb backup file

since this is a plaintext file, not a custom format backup,
you unfortunately need to extract portions of text using some editor or
program...

for this kind of work I would recommend Perl or Awk.

below is my "first shot" - thats incomplete (no restoration of
indexes/sequences):

gunzip -cd all.sql.gz | awk '/^CREATE TABLE mytable /,/^$/ { print }; /^COPY
mytable /,/^$/ { print };'

which does print all lines from CREATE TABLE mytable to next empty line, and
all lines from COPY mytable to next empty line.