Re: Index-Advisor Tools

From: Baron Schwartz <baron(dot)schwartz(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alexandre de Arruda Paes <adaldeia(at)gmail(dot)com>, Neto pr <netopr9(at)gmail(dot)com>, Anthony Sotolongo <asotolongo(at)gmail(dot)com>, postgres performance list <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Index-Advisor Tools
Date: 2017-11-06 18:52:44
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 8:06 PM Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 8:25 PM, Alexandre de Arruda Paes
> <adaldeia(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > I will be very happy with a tool(or a stats table) that shows the most
> > searched values from a table(since a statistic reset).

As a vendor, I normally stay silent on this list, but I feel compelled to
speak here. This is a feature we built support for in VividCortex. (I'm the
founder and CEO). Unlike most PostgreSQL monitoring tools, our product not
only aggregates query activity into metrics, but retains a rich and
representative sample set of the actual statements that executed, including
full parameters (even for prepared statements), and all of the properties
for the query: the connection's origin, the timestamp, latency, etc. These
are mapped visually to a scatterplot, and you can instantly see where there
are clusters of latency outliers, etc, and inspect those quickly. It
includes EXPLAIN plans and everything else you need to understand how that
statement executed. VividCortex may not be suitable for your scenario, but
our customers do use it frequently for finding queries that need indexes
and determining what indexes to add.