Moving Postgresql 9.1 instance from FreeBSD 9.0 machine to FreeBSD 10.2

From: Amitabh Kant <amitabhkant(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Moving Postgresql 9.1 instance from FreeBSD 9.0 machine to FreeBSD 10.2
Date: 2015-12-20 01:50:57
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi

I have a Postgresql 9.1 instance running on FreeBSD 9.0 (64 bit). The
machine is now running out of space and no extra hard disk can be added to
the machine. I am planning to move the instance to another machine which is
running FreeBSD 10.2 (64 bit) with the same Postgresql version.

One idea is to take a dump and transfer the data, which is my fallback
plan. The other is to simply copy over the data directory since the
postgresql version is same (64 bit OS with PG 9.1) on both machine. This
will reduce a lot of down time as the data is around 1 TB .

Old Machine: FreeBSD 9.0 (64 bit) with Postgresql 9.1 (UFS file system)

New Machine: FreeBSD 10.2 (64 bit) with Postgresql 9.1 (UFS file system)

The directory structure and others hardware would remain the same in both
machine, apart from a increased capacity of hard disk and RAM in the new
machine.

Just wondering if anybody has already done such a move or has any
suggestions if I should or should not go the directory copy route?

Thanks

Amitabh