Re: locate DB corruption

From: Dave Peticolas <dave(at)krondo(dot)com>
To: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: locate DB corruption
Date: 2018-09-02 00:53:04
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sat, Sep 1, 2018 at 5:09 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
wrote:

> On 09/01/2018 04:45 PM, Dave Peticolas wrote:
>
> > Well restoring from a backup of the primary does seem to have fixed the
> > issue with the corrupt table.
>
> Pretty sure it was not that the table was corrupt but that transaction
> information was missing from pg_clog.
>
> In a previous post you mentioned you ran tar to do the snapshot of
> $PG_DATA.
>
> Was there any error when tar ran the backup that caused you problems?

Well the interesting thing about that is that although the bad table was
originally discovered in a DB restored from a snapshot, I subsequently
discovered it in the real-time clone of the primary from which the backups
are made. So somehow the clone's table became corrupted. The same table was
not corrupt on the primary, but I have discovered an error on the primary
-- it's in the thread I posted today. These events seem correlated in time,
I'll have to mine the logs some more.