Re: Autovacuum of independent tables

From: Michael Holzman <michaelholzman(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Autovacuum of independent tables
Date: 2020-09-08 14:00:56
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Sep 8, 2020 at 4:25 PM Magnus Hagander wrote:

> Whether you have autocommit on or off, you can *always* control things
> explicitly. And you can certainly run "multi-statement transactions" in
> autocommit on -- in fact, it's what most people do since it's the default
> configuration of the system (and I don't see why multi-table would even be
> relevant).
>
> Autocommit on/off only controls what happens when you *don't* control
> things explicitly.

I know that we can control things explicitly with "autocommit on". But we
would need to add "BEGIN" statements to the code which is an even bigger
change than adding COMMITs. We considered it and found that the development
cost is too high.

It seems I was not clear enough. I do not complain. I have been a PG fan
since 2000 when I worked with it for the first time. I just wanted to
understand it deeper and, fortunately, find a work around that would
simplify our current development.

Thanks to all.

--
Regards,