Space taken by Null values

From: Basant Dagar <dagar(dot)basant2(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Space taken by Null values
Date: 2015-01-29 19:32:15
Lists: pgsql-admin

Gurus--

I have big flat table with 100 columns in it. For about 40% of its data, 90
columns would be null out of 100.And this table keeps growing and will
initial have more than 100 million rows.

​May I know, will this impact the size in anyways as I heard nulls will
take no or very little space in PostgreSQL unlike oracle. even for millions
of rows with many columns in it. Is that true?

​And if that is not true, would you recommend to make this table into 2
tables with the 2nd table containing those ​40% records with only 10
required columns in it?

Please help!!

​Thanks--Learner​