Re: minimum hardware requirements for small postgres db

From: Paul Smith <paul(dot)smithy987(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Matt Musgrove <MMusgrove(at)efji(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: minimum hardware requirements for small postgres db
Date: 2013-02-22 06:13:24
Lists: pgsql-novice

Thanks for your advice. It is very interesting you were able to run pg on
a SD card in a RasPi ! In addition to Wolgang's last reply, that
confirms I was misinformed last year when I originally settled on pg as my
1st choice, hsqldb being 2nd choice, but then rejected pg in favour of
hsqldb, as told the former needs stronger hw than I use.

Regarding yours and Gavin's recommendation I change to Linux, I have made
such an investment in Windows ever since it overlayed DOS, use so many
Windows dependant programs, it would be a major investment in time to start
again in Linux.

I have monitored the progress of Linux, particularly Ubuntu over the
decades, and sadly have always found some reason not to change. I stopped
using big desktops years ago due to travel needs, and read a big problem
using Linux on new laptops/nettops was lack of Driver support from
manufacturers ... causing lots of headaches. Recently, I read the change
of 'Desktop' to Unity needs maturing. I do realise open-source encourages
healthy creativity, and so diversity, but just the other week I read
'fragmentation' of Linux into so many flavours causes big problems
supporting Apps.

Another reason your mention of pg on RasPi was so interesting, is I am
thinking to buy something smaller than a Nettop, to use primarily as a
media-streamer to TV, but also be a 'backup computer' in case my Nettop
breaks - as it just has. The choice on ARM hw has to be Linux or the
Android fork. If ARM, I was thinking of the Tegra3 based OUYA, unless a T4
or other faster SoC alternative becomes available. So following the news
on development of Ubuntu for ARM devices with interest.

So as per my last post to Wolfgang, I will install pg once my Nettop
repaired or replaced.

Thanks, Paul