Re: [Design update] Style guide for pgAdmin4

From: Shirley Wang <swang(at)pivotal(dot)io>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [Design update] Style guide for pgAdmin4
Date: 2017-05-18 17:57:13
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hello!

*Update on style guide location*
We're going to move the agreed upon styles from Figma onto a webpage that
will be accessible by everyone. We've decided to have a static site, with
the html and css available to copy and paste. We'll add components to the
style guide after we update the current UI with new styles.

*Dropdown styles*
I noticed that some drop downs include a 'x' next to the current option in
the text field:

[image: x in dropdown menu.png]

The 'x' and the down arrow functionally do the same thing, and it seems
redundant to have both. I would suggest removing the 'x' since selecting
another option from the dropdown will automatically replace the current
option.

*Button toggles vs checkboxes*
In some cases within dialogs, a toggle is used to define yes or no, while
in other cases a radio button is used to define yes or no:
[image: toggle.png][image: checkbox.png]

It does seem like 'Connect now?' and 'Save password' (in 'Connection' tab
within 'Create - Server') are the only places where checkboxes are used, is
there a reason why these are different? I think we should just choose one,
unless there was a specific reason as to why both check boxes and toggles
are used.