Re: [Design update] Style guide for pgAdmin4

From: Shirley Wang <swang(at)pivotal(dot)io>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [Design update] Style guide for pgAdmin4
Date: 2017-04-21 18:27:47
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hello

>>> Is this the app you used? https://www.sketchapp.com/
>>>

>> Yes. Also, I recognize it's probably not the best tool, given that
>> there's a 30 day free trial and then you need to purchase a license. I'm
>> looking into other programs that are free.
>>

> FYI, we use LucidCharts internally. It's a pretty good Google Apps
> integrated version of Microsoft Visio.

Ah ok. Do you have any files related to pgAdmin you can share (or put into
Google drive folder)?

>>> Some initial thoughts on the inventory:
>>>
>>> - Wow, that's a lot of colours. I didn't realise we had so many. I think
>>> we need to work that down to a set of a dozen or less primary colours.
>>>

>> Me neither! I'm not so concerned with the number of different colors, but
>> with the number of similar shades of each color.
>>
>> I can distill those down and send another email shortly.
>>

>> - I wouldn't worry about the button colour borders and gradients too
>>> much. Those are standard bootstrap colours, so we should document them in
>>> terms of bootstrap styles, not colour components.
>>>

>> Ok. But are they appropriate for this app?
>>

> Personally I think they're fine.

They seem ok for buttons (cancel, save, reset, toolbar). I found the
gradient is also on alerts when you click Dependencies, Dependents while
selecting Server in the browser.

I think those alerts should not have a gradient to match with the other
types of alerts (notifiers and error messages). Since these specific alerts
are not success / fail messages, the blue works because it's a neutral
color.

[image: highlight_selection color.png]
Here is what the updated colors would look like in the app.

*Focus on text field in nodes*

*Browser*

*[image: Screen Shot 2017-04-21 at 12.14.55 PM.png]*

*Highlight in dropdown menu*

*[image: Screen Shot 2017-04-21 at 12.19.51 PM.png]*

*Alerts* [image: Screen Shot 2017-04-21 at 11.29.11 AM.png]
If this is ok, we will add these changes to our backlog as style changes.

Attachment Content-Type Size
highlight_selection color.png image/png 78.8 KB