Re: Declarative partitioning in pgAdmin4

From: Shirley Wang <swang(at)pivotal(dot)io>
To: Akshay Joshi <akshay(dot)joshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Declarative partitioning in pgAdmin4
Date: 2017-05-23 14:09:37
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

It's less about implementing what's easy, and more about implementing what
we know for sure will provide user value.

Given that in the expression you used, the variables 'a' and 'b' have
undefined values, there's still a chance that we're missing a large chunk
of context for successful implementation.

Could you explain what 'a' and 'b' represent?
Where would users find values for 'a' and 'b'? (are they columns?)
What is the use case for partitioning by (a+b)/2?
How frequently will people partition this way?

It's possible to design for the range and list partitions and know we can
achieve success because we understand how users would go through this
workflow. Not sure about expressions.