Re: [Design update] Style guide for pgAdmin4

From: Shirley Wang <swang(at)pivotal(dot)io>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [Design update] Style guide for pgAdmin4
Date: 2017-05-19 18:54:49
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 7:40 AM Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:

> Hi
>
> On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 6:57 PM, Shirley Wang <swang(at)pivotal(dot)io> wrote:
>
>> Hello!
>>
>> *Update on style guide location*
>> We're going to move the agreed upon styles from Figma onto a webpage that
>> will be accessible by everyone. We've decided to have a static site, with
>> the html and css available to copy and paste. We'll add components to the
>> style guide after we update the current UI with new styles.
>>
>> *Dropdown styles*
>> I noticed that some drop downs include a 'x' next to the current option
>> in the text field:
>>
>> The 'x' and the down arrow functionally do the same thing, and it seems
>> redundant to have both. I would suggest removing the 'x' since selecting
>> another option from the dropdown will automatically replace the current
>> option.
>>

> No they don't. The x clears the current selection, and opens the combo.
> The arrow will just open the combo. Both operations are valid (and in some
> cases, required), but for clarity we probably should change it such that
> the x doesn't open the combo.

If the 'x' doesn't open the combo, Is there a way to just type in that text
field without opening the drop down menu? It seems like in many of the
fields where there is an 'x' a user would still need to open the dropdown
first to type.

[image: options.png]

In most cases where I've seen a text field with options, usually a drop
down appears automagically without a need for a dropdown icon or x

[image: googlesearch.gif]

[image: text_field_dropdowns.gif]

>> *Button toggles vs checkboxes*
>> In some cases within dialogs, a toggle is used to define yes or no, while
>> in other cases a radio button is used to define yes or no:
>>
>> It does seem like 'Connect now?' and 'Save password' (in 'Connection'
>> tab within 'Create - Server') are the only places where checkboxes are
>> used, is there a reason why these are different? I think we should just
>> choose one, unless there was a specific reason as to why both check boxes
>> and toggles are used.
>>

> I think it was just because that was one of the very first dialogues
> written, when we were in POC mode. It should be fixed.

ok!