Re: New font for testing in Query Editor tool

From: Shirley Wang <swang(at)pivotal(dot)io>
To: matshyeq <matshyeq(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Mike Surcouf <mikes(at)surcouf(dot)co(dot)uk>, Anthony DeBarros <adebarros(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgAdmin Support <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New font for testing in Query Editor tool
Date: 2017-07-19 14:09:57
Lists: pgadmin-support

Thanks for the feedback everyone

On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 8:18 AM matshyeq <matshyeq(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Just a thought, if v4 is web based - why don't you use webfonts, like
> whatever is available on https://fonts.google.com/?category=Monospace
> with the option to fall back to the old ones?
> Also, could this be easily configurable?

I had only ever used the hosted versions of Google fonts so I wrote off
this option for cases where there is no internet connection. However it
does seem like you can download them - we can potentially package the
application with a Google font rather than rely on native fonts that come
with the OS.

>>> Monospace, which we currently use, and Menlo, the proposed new default.

Menlo only applies for Macs, Consolas is the new proposed font for Windows.

>>> On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 1:33 AM, Anthony DeBarros <adebarros(at)gmail(dot)com>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I like it! I agree with the earlier poster that the line height could be
>>> decreased -- but not by much. Perhaps a pixel or two.
>>>

>>> Yeah, something was bugging me about it too - I think it was the line
>>> height.

Yeah, line height is a little wonky now because we're working with two
fonts with different x-heights. I'm looking into Google fonts now, it would
be so great if both applications could rely on the same font.