Explain analyse and toasted data.

From: Benoit Lobréau <benoit(dot)lobreau(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Explain analyse and toasted data.
Date: 2017-08-24 08:01:02
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

In this video (PostgreSQL at 10 TB and beyond: https://youtu.be/8mKpfutwD0U
at 6mn05), the speaker says that on very big databases explain analyse can
give unrealistic results because it doesn't read toasted data.

I suppose it's because of this: "The big values of TOASTed attributes will
only be pulled out (if selected at all) at the time the result set is sent
to the client." But I dont know if explain analyse does something to
simulate this (if it's possible).

Could you give me a hand to verify/understand this information please ?

Thanks in advance.

Benoit.