Re: Moving to git

From: Valentine Gogichashvili <valgog(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Mike Fowler <mike(at)mlfowler(dot)com>, Guillaume Cottenceau <gc(at)mnc(dot)ch>, Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Moving to git
Date: 2011-10-03 12:48:30
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

> My comment about "thinking about it" was just that, I have
> contemplated it. I also have not talked to Kris or Oliver about
> moving to git. So before we get too far down the road I think it's
> important to have an open discussion about whether we want to move to
> git.

I did one attempt to convince Kris to allow migrating to GIT
http://markmail.org/message/diaht5koqznqcmlm

On Fri, 1 Apr 2011, Valentine Gogichashvili wrote:

> Kris, are there any plans to port the project to use git?

Yes, eventually. CVS is certainly ancient and with the server having moved
> to git, I see no reason for us not to follow. At the same time I don't
> really feel any sense of urgency because CVS is still functional. I'd say it
> would be a post 9.1 item to work on. If you followed the amount of work it
> took the server team to get the cvs->git conversion the way they wanted, it
> may not be as trivial as you'd hope.
> Kris Jurka

So 9.1 is out, and one could think about starting the migration project
actually :)

I also still think, that moving to git would be nice, but apperently, the
fact, that in theory one can work with diffs, is enough to block the whole
idea of migration as soon as there is something more important to do, that
will be always true :)

So maybe it makes sence just to start a project of migration to git and
prepare some scripts to do it, discuss pros and contras and keep a readonly
copy of a git repository that will be fetching all CVS commits and push them
to git repository for a while, then see, if it was what we want, and when we
have a working thing, just start using it at some point?

-- Valentine Gogichashvili