Upgraded, now permission denied.

From: Jason Whitener <jwhitene(at)pcc(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Upgraded, now permission denied.
Date: 2014-06-12 00:00:09
Lists: pgsql-novice

I did a pg_dumpall on PostgreSQL 8.1.23 and then imported that data to
8.4.20 following this guide:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/install-upgrading.html

Queries that used to run on 8.1 now complain about relations not found,
like:

Select * from uiddate where dateonline >= '#hourago#'

returns: ERROR: relation "uiddate" does not exist Position: 15

The database name is 'mypcc'. The schema is 'public'. I can visibly see
the table 'uiddate' in the PgAdmin gui.

If I do a query like:
SELECT * FROM public.uiddate where dateonline >= '2014-06-11 14:33:14';

It returns:
ERROR: permission denied for schema public

I checked on permissions:
SELECT datname as "Relation", datacl as "Access permissions" FROM
pg_database WHERE datname = 'mypcc'; Relation | Access permissions
----------+--------------------
mypcc | {mypcc=CTc/mypcc}
(1 row)

This is my first upgrade, so I guess I must be missing something simple.

Visibly in the PgAdmin gui, it looks like the data import went fine. I see
all my tables and users.

This query is being initiated by an app running on the same host. I made
sure that the 8.4 pg_hba.conf lines for localhost matched what I had on the
8.1 server.

host all all 127.0.0.1/32 password

Both servers respond identically to nslookup localhost.

I'm not sure what to try next.