Re: A user report of misinterpretation of 'unsupported versions'

From: Michael Nolan <htfoot(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Daniel Farina <daniel(at)heroku(dot)com>, pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: A user report of misinterpretation of 'unsupported versions'
Date: 2013-07-14 16:42:30
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 11:22 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> In any case, if we do change the wording, I'd like to lobby again
> for using "obsolete" rather than "unsupported" for EOL versions.
> That seems less likely to be misinterpreted.

I suggested the following wording:

This page is for PostgreSQL version 9.2
For the equivalent page in other versions see:
Currently Supported Versions: 9.1, 9.0, 8.4
Unreleased or Development versions: 9.3, Devel
Older releases that are no longer being maintained: 8.3, 8.2, 8.1, 8.0

Yes, it is more verbose, but the web is one place where space is not at a
premium, and this is (IMHO) far clearer for the casual reader.

A separate issue is, when 9.3 goes live or 8.4 goes EOL, do these pages
automatically get moved to the 'supported' or 'not maintained' sections,
respectively, or do all these pages have to be revised?
--
Mike Nolan