Re: Alter and move corresponding: was The tragedy of SQL

From: Michael Nolan <htfoot(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Steve Litt <slitt(at)troubleshooters(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-generallists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Alter and move corresponding: was The tragedy of SQL
Date: 2021-09-15 17:47:38
Lists: pgsql-general

When I was working at the help desk at the computer center as an undergrad,
the professor in charge of that group used to give us interesting little
language tests for things we needed to watch out for, especially with
beginning programmers.

One of his favorite ploys was to use the EQUIVALENCE function in FORTRAN to
equivalence a constant with a variable, then assign something to that
variable. In one of the FORTRAN compilers, that would result in
overwriting the constant, so all future uses of it would have the new
value. This would break many things, of course.
--
Mike Nolan