Wiki editor request

From: yigong hu <yigongh(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Wiki editor request
Date: 2020-04-22 17:03:32
Lists: pgsql-www

Hi,
Would it be possible to get editor permission on the Postgres wiki? My
community account name is yigonghu.
Here is a minor change I’ve wanted to make as I browse the wiki:

The PostgreSQL manual contains the following paragraph
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Tuning_Your_PostgreSQL_Server about the
log_statement configuration:

> "Using all in production leads to severe performance penalties."

The description mentions that "all" log_statement would cause performance
penalties in production mode but in the testing, I found that setting
log_statement to all will not cause performance loss under write-intensive
workload unless the synchronous_commit is off. Also, it seems that setting
log_statement to another value wouldn' cause performance regression but in
my testing, I found that the "mod" log_statement would cause a performance
loss if the synchronous_commit is off. Thus, I would suggest to elaborate
on this description further as:

> "Using all or mod in production would lead to severe performance
penalties under some workload. Turning the synchronous_commit to off would
cause a more severe performance regression"

Rationale:
I test the log_statement on PostgreSQL 11.0. The PostgreSQL is running
on hardware: 40 vCPU, 64 GB ram, 10GB network, and 1TB HDD. The OS is
ubuntu 16.04.
I first run a read-intensive workload with different log_statment
setting. The result shows that for all log_statment, the average latency
per query is 7.18ms. For the "mod" statement, the average latency per query
is 2.9ms. For the "none" log_statement, the average latency per query is
2.95ms. The result is consistent with the description that "all" log
statement would cause performance penalties. However, when I test on a
write-intensive workload, the result shows that for the "all" log_statment,
the average latency per query is 8.51ms. For the "mod" statement, the
average latency per query is 8.53ms. For the "none" log_statement, the
average latency per query is 8.68ms. It seems that there are no performance
penalties for the write workload if you are using "all" log statement.
Also, if I set the synchronous_commit to off and rerun the
write-intensive workload, For the "all" log_statment, the average latency
per query is 0.71ms. For the "mod" statement, the average latency per query
is 0.71ms. For the "none" log_statement, the average latency per query is
0.19ms. This seems to suggest that if closing the synchronous_commit would
introduce performance penalties to all and mod log statements.