Re: pg_dump dump catalog ACLs

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Jose Luis Tallon <jltallon(at)adv-solutions(dot)net>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_dump dump catalog ACLs
Date: 2016-04-27 19:27:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Alvaro,

On Wednesday, April 27, 2016, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
wrote:

> Stephen Frost wrote:
>
> > The current challenge I've been trying to find a solution to is testing
> the
> > extension handling. Only core extensions (plpgsql, plperl, etc) are
> > available when the TAP tests are running for pg_dump, it seems. I
> certainly
> > don't want to add a testing extension in such a way that it would get
> > installed for users, but it doesn't seem obvious how to create an
> extension
> > from another directory or to even find the directory where I could write
> > the control and SQL files into to use.
> >
> > Any thoughts on that would certainly be welcome.
>
> Did you notice the src/test/modules/test_extensions thingy? Supposedly
> we do try pg_dump with custom extensions there.

Hmm. I think the issue I was having is that I wanted to test the extension
handling in pg_dump's 'make check' run, but that's before any of those
extension pieces are installed or tested.

However, perhaps I can test the pg_dump parts as part of the extension
'make check' runs instead. Will check it out.

Thanks!

Stephen