Re: New predefined roles- 'pg_read/write_all_data'

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: "Shinoda, Noriyoshi (PN Japan FSIP)" <noriyoshi(dot)shinoda(at)hpe(dot)com>
Cc: Anastasia Lubennikova <a(dot)lubennikova(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Michael Banck <michael(dot)banck(at)credativ(dot)de>, "gkokolatos(at)pm(dot)me" <gkokolatos(at)pm(dot)me>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New predefined roles- 'pg_read/write_all_data'
Date: 2021-09-05 11:50:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greetings,

On Sun, Sep 5, 2021 at 07:43 Shinoda, Noriyoshi (PN Japan FSIP) <
noriyoshi(dot)shinoda(at)hpe(dot)com> wrote:

> I have tested this new feature with PostgreSQL 14 Beta 3 environment.
> I created a user granted with pg_write_all_data role and executed UPDATE
> and DELETE statements on tables owned by other users.
> If there is no WHERE clause, it can be executed as expected, but if the
> WHERE clause is specified, an error of permission denied will occur.
> Is this the expected behavior?

A WHERE clause requires SELECT rights on the table/columns referenced and
if no SELECT rights were granted then a permission denied error is the
correct result, yes. Note that pg_write_all_data, as documented, does not
include SELECT rights.

Thanks,

Stephen