Re: [EXT] Re: Troubleshooting a long running delete statement

From: Maciek Sakrejda <m(dot)sakrejda(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Dirschel, Steve" <steve(dot)dirschel(at)thomsonreuters(dot)com>
Cc: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, "pgsql-performance(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [EXT] Re: Troubleshooting a long running delete statement
Date: 2021-10-07 05:15:36
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Wed, Oct 6, 2021 at 1:32 PM Dirschel, Steve <
steve(dot)dirschel(at)thomsonreuters(dot)com> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply and the info above. My question was more directed at
> how can you troubleshoot the active session running the query. In the
> examples above you are actually executing the query. If an application is
> executing the query I can't go in an re-execute it.

This won't be immediately useful, but there's been a patch proposed for
Postgres 15 to allow logging the plan of a running query [1]. Progress
seems to have stalled a bit, but it seems like there was a fair amount of
interest, so I wouldn't count it out yet. If you have thoughts on the
proposed functionality, I'm sure thoughtful feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Maciek

[1]:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/cf8501bcd95ba4d727cbba886ba9eea8%40oss.nttdata.com