Re: Increased storage size of jsonb in pg15

From: Sean Flaherty <sflaherty(at)grndwork(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Junwang Zhao <zhjwpku(at)gmail(dot)com>, Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>, "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Increased storage size of jsonb in pg15
Date: 2023-12-29 15:21:13
Lists: pgsql-general

What we found is that using lz4 compression on JSONB data is 20-25% larger
on disk than pglz. We are running a production workload that is storing
jsonb data with a focus read performance. The documented increase in write
speed wasn't a large benefit, however, the increase in storage size moved
the bulk of our data into TOAST and off the JSON performance cliff ("2-10×
slower queries") described by Evan
<https://www.evanjones.ca/postgres-large-json-performance.html> was
impactful.

This
<https://www.postgresql.fastware.com/blog/what-is-the-new-lz4-toast-compression-in-postgresql-14>
article
does a nice job describing the differences between pglz and lz4 compression
for different data but does not include json or jsonb.

I believe validation of our numbers and additional documentation on the
trade-offs in compression types would be very useful.