Why does the pg_dumpall command have a database option?

From: Espresso Beanies <espressobeanies(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Why does the pg_dumpall command have a database option?
Date: 2019-06-20 20:03:11
Lists: pgsql-general

I'm trying to see if someone could answer to me why the pg_dumpall command
has a database option when it's designed to dump all the databases in a
PostgreSQL server instance. I'm only asking because when I create a .pgpass
file and try to use the pg_dumpall command, I'm still required to specify a
specific database even though the command itself should be targeting all
databases. Can anyone explain this to me a bit better?

Thanks,