Re: doc: virtual envs with Pl/Python

From: Jacob Champion <jacob(dot)champion(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Florents Tselai <florents(dot)tselai(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: doc: virtual envs with Pl/Python
Date: 2024-10-17 21:15:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Oct 17, 2024 at 2:03 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> What I'm still confused about is whether this is anything that
> a typical user of Python shouldn't be expected to know already.

I mean... I think I agree, but also it seems like people regularly
find ways to shoot themselves in the foot, so I'm not opposed to some
tips in theory. But they should be more generally applicable IMO.

> I understand the idea of setting up a virtualenv that is decoupled
> from the system-supplied package set, but if the user has done
> that, wouldn't they already know about setting PYTHONPATH?

Agreed.

> I can believe that they might not be totally clear on how to
> set it in a way that will affect the Postgres server --- but
> the proposed patch provides no details about that, and hardly
> could since it'd vary so much from one server packaging to
> another.

Yeah. I think this patch is _way_ too prescriptive, and maybe belongs
in a wiki on "Ways I Get Complex Python Setups Working" or similar,
where it can share space with alternatives.

--Jacob