Would you add a --dry-run to pg_restore?

From: Edmundo Robles <edmundo(at)sw-argos(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Would you add a --dry-run to pg_restore?
Date: 2017-08-02 16:02:55
Lists: pgsql-general

I mean, to verify the integrity of backup i do:

gunzip -c backup_yesterday.gz | pg_restore -d my_database && echo
"backup_yesterday is OK"

but my_database's size, uncompresed, is too big more than 15G and
sometimes i have no space to restore it, so always i must declutter my
disk first.

By the way i have programmed backups on many databases so, i must check
the integrity one by one deleting the database to avoid disk space
issues. By the way the restores takes too long time an average of 1 hour by
backup.

Will be great to have a dry run option, because the time to verify
reduces a lot and will save space on disk, because just execute with no
write to disk.

if pg_restore have a dry option i will do:

(gunzip -c mydata.gz | pg_restore -d mydata --dry && echo "mydata0 is
ok")&
(gunzip -c my_other_data.gz | pg_restore -d my_other_data --dry && echo
"my_other_data is ok")&
(gunzip -c my_another_data.gz | pg_restore -d my_another_data --dry &&
echo "my_another_data is ok")&
wait

and the time to verify only will take 1 hour instead of 3 hours.