Foreign keys fails with partitioned table.

From: Edmundo Robles <edmundo(at)sw-argos(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Foreign keys fails with partitioned table.
Date: 2016-12-21 15:12:40
Lists: pgsql-general

I have a big,big table, this big table is referenced by another tables
by foreign keys.

I have a performance issues so i decide partition it by month ->
...,table_201610,table_201611,table_201612,...

after i have been created the partition tables i try to insert data but
foreign key constraint doesn't allow
the insertion.

I try set to deferrable those constraints but doesn work. only works if i
drop those constraints :(

What can i do to set foreign keys referencing a big table from partition
table?

Here the process in detail:

0. I have a big_table with many constraint.
I have a tables, T1,T2,T3,T4 referencing id from bigtable like foreign
key.

1. Backup T1..T4 tables.

2. Delete records from T1..T4 tables. I must delete if not then point 6
fails.

3. Rename bigtable to temp_bigtable.

4. Create master bigtable with same DDL

5. Create child/partitionated tables inherits from big_table. and create
the same constraint and indexes like big_table

6. Reset sequences, views and constraint to the new bigtable. When you
rename a table the views and sequences related to bigtable are renamed to
temp_bigtable too.

7. Create a function to insert data to the right partition table using
copy.

8. insert data with the function created.

and I got:
ERROR: insert or update on table "T1" violates foreign key constraint
"fk-lstl-stl"
DETAIL: Key (id_stl_msg)=(26874097) is not present in table "bigtable".
CONTEXT: SQL statement "WITH upsert AS (
UPDATE T1 SET id_stl_msg = v_id_stl_msg WHERE id_trun = in_idtrun
RETURNING *
)
--INSERT
INSERT INTO T1 (id_trun, id_stl_msg)
SELECT in_idtrun, v_id_stl_msg WHERE NOT EXISTS (SELECT * FROM upsert)"

But if drop the constraint works fine ....

What can i do to set foreign keys refrencing a id from bigtable or
partition table?