work_mem and shared_buffers question

From: Ayub M <hiayub(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: work_mem and shared_buffers question
Date: 2020-02-10 08:03:55
Lists: pgsql-general

1. shared_buffers - In a regular PostgreSQL installation, say I am
allocating 25% of my memory to shared_buffers that means it leaves 75% for
rest such as OS, page cache and work_mems etc. Is my understanding correct?
If so, AWS Aurora for Postgres uses 75% of memory for shared_buffers, then
it would leave just 25% for other things?
2. Does the memory specified for work_mem, fully gets allocated to all
sessions irrespective of whether they do any sorting or hashing operations?

--
Regards,
Ayub