Re: 2 server with same configuration but huge difference in performance

From: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Sumeet Shukla <sumeet(dot)k(dot)shukla(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 2 server with same configuration but huge difference in performance
Date: 2017-08-01 16:13:47
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-performance

On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 8:45 AM, Sumeet Shukla <sumeet(dot)k(dot)shukla(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> It seems that it is happening because of the way the database is created. On
> an old database it runs perfectly fine or if I use the old DB as template to
> create the new one, it runs fine. But if I create a new DB with same
> settings and permissions it hangs. I'm now trying to find the difference
> between these 2 databases.

Likely a difference in encoding or collation. What does \l show you
(that's a lower case L btw)

smarlowe=> \l
List of databases
Name | Owner | Encoding | Collate | Ctype |
Access privileges
postgres | smarlowe | UTF8 | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 |
smarlowe | smarlowe | UTF8 | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 |

UTF8 and en_US are much more expensive than SQL_ASCII and C would be
for text and such. Basically indexes either don't work or work as well
under en_US if you're comparing or sorting text.