Re: Unexpectedly high disk space usage

From: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Lists <lists(at)benjamindsmith(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Unexpectedly high disk space usage
Date: 2012-11-07 20:58:55
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 1:42 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Lists <lists(at)benjamindsmith(dot)com> writes:
>
>> ... because it
>> occasionally causes transactions and queries to hang when an update
>> causes a vacuum mid-day, effectively taking us offline randomly.
>
> I suspect this claim is based on ancient and no longer very relevant
> experience.

My experience is that if autovac is causing problems with stalled
queries etc you're either A: running ancient pg versions (pre 8.3), B:
Running WAY too aggressive settings in autovac (100 threads, no nap
time, cost limit of 100000 etc.) or C: Your IO subsystem is absolute
crap.

On any modern server, default autovac settings from 8.3 and on should
only have the possible problem of not being tuned aggressively enough.