Re: The end of 32-bit PostgreSQL support?

From: Bradford Boyle <bradford(dot)d(dot)boyle(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-pkg-debian(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: The end of 32-bit PostgreSQL support?
Date: 2024-07-30 03:42:03
Lists: pgsql-pkg-debian

As a quick reference point, I spent a few minutes looking at how the
PostgreSQL Yum Repository handles architectures and distributions. It
looks like when a repo is EOLed, they stop providing updates to any
package except PostgreSQL RPMs [1]. Additionally, it looks like RHEL 6
was the last distribution to support x86.

Looking at the current release notes for Debian trixie [2], i686 will
still be an officially supported architecture. I think the proposal to
continue building the server, but disable building all extensions for
32-bit architectures is very reasonable.

-- Bradford

[1]: https://yum.postgresql.org/news/rhel7-end-of-life/
[2]: https://www.debian.org/releases/trixie/release-notes/whats-new.en.html#supported-architectures