Re: schema privileges and drop role

From: Matt Zagrabelny <mzagrabe(at)d(dot)umn(dot)edu>
To: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
Subject: Re: schema privileges and drop role
Date: 2024-06-25 00:43:58
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for the reply!

On Mon, Jun 24, 2024 at 7:03 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
wrote:

> On 6/24/24 17:00, Matt Zagrabelny wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I have a database that I recently changed the ownership for and now I am
> > attempting to drop the previous owner of the database:
> >
> > test_db=# drop ROLE legacy_owner;
> > ERROR: role "legacy_owner" cannot be dropped because some objects
> > depend on it
> > DETAIL: privileges for schema public
> >
> > I don't know where to look to find out what I need to alter to be able
> > to remove the legacy role and internet searches came up fruitless.
>
> Generally best to start with the docs:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-droprole.html
>
> "A role cannot be removed if it is still referenced in any database of
> the cluster; an error will be raised if so. Before dropping the role,
> you must drop all the objects it owns (or reassign their ownership) and
> revoke any privileges the role has been granted on other objects. The
> REASSIGN OWNED and DROP OWNED commands can be useful for this purpose;
> see Section 22.4 for more discussion."

Cool. I gave it a try, but came up with the same error:

test_db=# REASSIGN OWNED by legacy_owner TO new_owner;
REASSIGN OWNED
Time: 0.212 ms
test_db=# drop role legacy_owner;
ERROR: role "legacy_owner" cannot be dropped because some objects depend
on it
DETAIL: privileges for schema public
test_db=#

I'd still like to see how to list the "privileges for schema public", but I
do appreciate the REASSIGN OWNED command.

Thanks!

-m