Initializing Database Cluster Failed

From: Bruce Salgado <bruce(dot)salgado6(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Initializing Database Cluster Failed
Date: 2021-08-05 18:09:56
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi,

I am having issues when doing the installation and also when trying to run
psql.

At first, I was able to successfully download postgresql and there were no
issues, but I eventually uninstalled the program for unrelated reasons.
When I eventually tried to reinstall postgresql, I received the following
error message: "Problem running post-install step. Installation may not
complete correctly. The database cluster initialization failed."

I looked at the install log and saw the following message:
Executing batch file 'radCD80A.bat'...
initdb: error: The program "postgres" was found by "C:/Program
Files/PostgreSQL/13/bin/initdb.exe"
but was not the same version as initdb.
Check your installation.

Called Die(Failed to initialise the database cluster with initdb)...
Failed to initialise the database cluster with initdb

Script stderr:
Program ended with an error exit code

Error running C:\WINDOWS\System32\cscript //NoLogo "C:\Program
Files\PostgreSQL\13/installer/server/initcluster.vbs" "NT
AUTHORITY\NetworkService" "postgres" "****"
"C:\Users\Arnav\AppData\Local\Temp/postgresql_installer_4136b1fe11"
"C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\13" "C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\13\data" 5432
"DEFAULT" 0: Program ended with an error exit code
Problem running post-install step. Installation may not complete correctly
The database cluster initialisation failed.
Setting variable whoami from C:\WINDOWS\System32\whoami
Script exit code: 0"

When I try running the command "psql" in command prompt, I get the
following message:
error: could not connect to server: Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061)
Is the server running on host "localhost" (::1) and accepting
TCP/IP connections on port 5432?
could not connect to server: Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061)
Is the server running on host "localhost" (127.0.0.1) and accepting
TCP/IP connections on port 5432?

When I try typing in "postgres" in command prompt, I get the following
message:
FATAL: XX000: postgres: could not locate matching postgres executable
LOCATION: getInstallationPaths,
d:\pginstaller_13.auto\postgres.windows-x64\src\backend\postmaster\postmaster.c:1489

When I ry running initdb -D "C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\13\Data, I again
get the same error message:
initdb: error: The program "postgres" was found by "C:/Program
Files/PostgreSQL/13/bin/initdb"
but was not the same version as initdb.
Check your installation.

I have used the builtin installer and have tried removing the environment
variable from PATH and removing any values in the Windows Registry which
have the term "postgres" using Regedit, but I have the same errors
regardless.

In addition, when running the installation, I get the following errors.
Error stopping service postgresql-x64-13
Error deleting service postgresql-x64-13

I downloaded postgresql from
https://www.enterprisedb.com/downloads/postgres-postgresql-downloads

I am running windows 10 Pro and the OS Build is 19042.1110
Processor is Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8265U CPU @ 1.60GHz 1.80 GHz
This was postgresql version 13.3

Thanks,
Bruce