Re: BUG #18573: Analyze command consumes several GB of memory - more than analyzed table size

From: Aleš Zelený <zeleny(dot)ales(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #18573: Analyze command consumes several GB of memory - more than analyzed table size
Date: 2024-08-08 08:31:38
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hello,

the default statistics target is:

powa=# show default_statistics_target ;
default_statistics_target
---------------------------
2500
(1 row)

So I've changed it to the default:
powa=# ALTER TABLE testcase_t3 ALTER COLUMN records SET STATISTICS 100;
ALTER TABLE

The memory consumption drops down to ~ 1.1GB

So you were right, thanks!

I thought it was a bug, but possibly it is only a space for an improvement
for adding a potential limit for similar cases.

Kind regards Ales Zeleny