Re: Allocated size of DB?

From: Keith Fiske <keith(dot)fiske(at)crunchydata(dot)com>
To: Ron Watkins <rwatki(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Allocated size of DB?
Date: 2022-10-17 16:51:49
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Mon, Oct 17, 2022 at 12:48 PM Ron Watkins <rwatki(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I have a request to supply business owner with both the available size of
> DB as well as the used size of the DB. I have been able to locate the used
> size, but I don't see any way to query the available size (used + unused
> space). How can I find that in PSQL?
>
> --
> Ron Watkins, K7DOG
> 602.743.5272

There is no unused space in PostgreSQL like this. It will use all the
available space on disk that you give it. It is not like Oracle where you
can reserve segment sizes.

So for this, you'd just monitor your available space on disk for the
filesystem that PostgreSQL is using.

--
Keith Fiske
Senior Database Engineer