Re: Re: Upgrade from psql version 9.3 to 9.6.

From: Keith Fiske <keith(dot)fiske(at)crunchydata(dot)com>
To: SAMMY CRISWELL <Sammy_R_Criswell(at)raytheon(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: Upgrade from psql version 9.3 to 9.6.
Date: 2019-05-07 17:58:46
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Tue, May 7, 2019 at 1:29 PM SAMMY CRISWELL <Sammy_R_Criswell(at)raytheon(dot)com>
wrote:

> Keith,
>

> Thanks for this information. I have one other question. One of the old
> Db’s is going to change names on the new server (old is stash new will be
> Bitbucket). Can I the restore or migrate the old DB’s tables into the new
> bitbucket DB?
>

> Thanks.
>
> Sam

Yes. Normally a database has to exist first when using pg_restore to
restore a dump. The -C is optional to have it created for you as part of
the dump using its original name. Otherwise, it restores into the database
you give it with the -d option. So just create that database first and pass
it to -d.