Re: Detach partition concurrently from pg cron

From: Keith Fiske <keith(dot)fiske(at)crunchydata(dot)com>
To: Sathish Reddy <sathishreddy(dot)postgresql(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Detach partition concurrently from pg cron
Date: 2024-07-08 13:15:35
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Mon, Jul 8, 2024 at 5:43 AM Sathish Reddy <
sathishreddy(dot)postgresql(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi
> Please help me on partman detach partition concurrently using pg cron
> run from postgres database to another database in detail.
>
> Thanks
> Sathish Reddy

Concurrent detach is not possible with pg_partman at this time. No
concurrent operations can be called within a function's transaction block.

See this issue for more information -
https://github.com/pgpartman/pg_partman/issues/387

If you need to detach concurrently, you will have to use some separate
process to do it at this time. Not sure if that can be done with pg_cron
since I'm not sure if that is also doing its own calls within a functional
transaction.

--
Keith Fiske
Senior Database Engineer